Aaron N. Tubbs bio photo

Aaron N. Tubbs

Dragon chaser.

Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Github

A lot of radio silence lately. No news is good news, I suppose. I still like my job. We’re going to Belize. I’m getting up each day and doing some form of exercise, even if it just means going for a walk. I managed to get to work today before realizing I’d left my badge at home. That is now a much more time-expensive endeavor, as it takes a lot more than 10 minutes to walk home and retrieve my badge.

One of the things I like about my job is the small details. Like, I have my one-on-one meeting with my manager every week. I had one of these scheduled with my old boss, but he always blew it off, didn’t show up to work, or pushed it back so late that he ended up going home before we got started. I got a meeting notice from our director today to have a quick “how are things going?” meeting exactly one month into my employment here. It’s a trivial, mindless, easy thing to do — but it is being done, and I really appreciate it.

As of this morning, I’ve checked my development branch into the main project tree in my group. Small changes, small branch, but it’s still the first time I’ve patched to-be-production code from the development side since I left school. Of course, I also made a mistake with one of the unicode macros that would have broken the build, but my super-smart i18n-master coworker caught it before I broke the nightly and made a spectacle of myself. Still, it feels good that I’m able to still use my head and develop software. It’s difficult, and I’m out of practice, and sometimes my head hurts at the end of the day, but I’m much happier in my job than I used to be. Even on days when I get torn a new one in code review, I’m learning, and that feels pretty good.

I got another cry for help from work the other night, and gave them a call to help out. The main member of the team supporting my application released half of a release and then went home early. The other half of the release was ignored, and all of the upstream changes had already been made, and they needed help figuring out what to do and what to change. I basically said “the best thing you can do is roll the change back and revert the upstream/downstream changes, and approach this tomorrow with a proper release, or else you’re going to be in trouble.” That not being an option I reminded them of what I knew would break off the top of my head, with the caveat that there were many other things I couldn’t recall without my automation diagrams, or the documentation I wrote up to describe how to do this release (strange that I knew this was coming a month before I left and provided information on how to handle it).

As always, last-minute rush jobs that aren’t expected are going to lead to catastrophe. I don’t know the details, nor do I want to, but one of my friends on the development team left me an SMS at 10:37 the following morning:

Fr: C W C / So many production problem! All your fault!