So my five weeks of training at work are done. I’m glad, to be honest. I miss my desk, and I miss working on something. Don’t get me wrong, training is swell — learning about the company and how everything fits together is key, but I like my job, and I like having goals, achieving them, and … well, doing my job.
We’ve also gotten around, now that we’re in Norwalk, to re-establishing our gym membership. Got up at 5:30 this morning so we could get there and get to work at a resonable time, and so forth. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to the gym, and it felt good to get back. I spent some time figuring out how the facility fits together, and experimenting with the stair climbing machine (an actual moving staircase, as opposed to a stairmaster). In general, I took it easy, as these things are easy to overdo when getting back into a routine. Next I need to locate some weight cards so I can set my benchmarks again.
The point of all of this is that I realized getting up at 5:30 one morning and 6:30 another morning is pointless. So, I’m setting the goal of getting up at 5:30, whether it’s a gym day or not (I’m planning on hitting gym MWF). Combined with trying to be in bed between 22-22:30, this should allow the following benefits:
- Consistent weekday sleep cycle
- Lots of peaceful time before work to meditate, be it through gym, a walk, reading on the porch with an espresso, or playing Warcraft.
- Day interchangeability, in the event that I miss a gym day I can still get it in without a schedule shift.
- Parties past 9:30pm are going to be rough.
- Weekends are now more dangerous, as they pose a radical shift in sleep schedule if I don’t get to bed at a reasonable time on Fridays and Saturdays.
We’ll see how it works out.
Also, we’ve hired a cleaning service for weekly cleaning. I’m still a little scared at the weekly cost, but hoping it will make up for itself in terms of sanity in now only having to worry about:
- Emptying the garbage
- Cycling the dish washer
- Cleaning Loki’s litterbox
- Cleaning Loki’s litter distribution
Anyhow, since this entry is quickly turning into rambling, it turns out I’m going to be going to UIUC for recruiting in a few weeks. Now I just need to figure out whether I’m doing the redeye fly-in/out thing, or whether I’m hanging around for a bit.