Aaron N. Tubbs bio photo

Aaron N. Tubbs

Dragon chaser.

Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Github

I had my first cup of coffee at Peet’s in Burlingame this evening. Rather, I had a demi of espresso, but you get the idea. It was not bad, and was far superior to anything I’ve had at Starbucks. We’re not yet on par with what I make at home (and by extension, I imagine worlds behind Seattle’s finest), but it’s a decent cup, and I can’t complain for $2, at least until I get a chance to hit the Northwest some day.

I had dinner at Isobune Sushi Burlingame — it’s one of those sushi places where little boats swim around the sushi bar, and you take off whatever looks tasty, and eat it. Your bill is in accordance with the color of plates (this spans the range from a tuna roll, on a green plate for $1.80, to Toro, on a red plate at $3.75). I had loads of fun with it, though the intrinsic quality of the sushi was not much different than out east. I still don’t like Uni, as much as I heard it was superior out West. Acquired taste, I guess. To be fair, this restaurant does not rank among the bay area’s finest, but I imagine it’s representative of the middle ground. I’ve yet to muster the courage to drive into downtown San Francisco proper, but we’ll see if I pull it off before I depart. All told, I had about a dozen dishes (about 30 pieces), two glasses of tea, and it came to less than $40.

The hotel room has been interesting; I’m currently fighting the battle to get a wash cloth; I had one the first evening after which it disappeared and hasn’t been replaced, despite requests to housekeeping. I do have an abundance of hand towels however, though I can’t guess why one would need a half dozen hand towels. Since my original discoveries, I’ve come to find the shower to be covered in mildew, and realized that half my lights don’t work, but there’s electricity and the wireless works most of the time.

I’m beginning to think I’m just too critical, and maybe I should just relax.

Training itself is not quite what I expected. The formal training portion for this software (test automation) covered about three hours of material over two days, with the rest of the time devoted to working with our specific applications and solving specific problems. The problem came to be that halfway through the second day (of three) everybody, on both sides of the training, ran out of material, so we all went back to doing normal work, with yet another day coming to go through the motions. It’s nice for the folks that have specific questions about how to accomplish something that’s been bothering them, but for somebody completely new to the product (me) who as of yet has no issues they can’t solve, it’s a little unfortunate.

The upside is that I’ve been able to put in some long hours trying to tackle some bugs that have been eluding me, which is good. It’s also nice to work with some people I don’t normally work with, and to not have the same set of distractions that are normally present. I think I’ve managed to nail one that’s been a problem for a few weeks, but we’ll see. I’m having some internal struggles feeling stupid about how slowly I’m able to work through some of this stuff — I feel like I should be able to figure these things out faster than I am, which feels sucky.