Cat update, but not a fun one.
Wiki gets to go under general again for the second time in her life. The first time almost killed her due to her breathing tube getting clogged up. Next Wednesday they’re going to put her under, and do some work with her nasal passages and sinuses, and see if they can figure out what’s wrong.
Over the last month, she’s been having increasing congestion, despite twice-daily dosage of Cyproheptadine, which to this point had been largely effective in keeping her congestion to a minimum. Her infections have been getting more frequent and more intense over the last several months. This time mucous has remained cloudy and yellow, despite a long course of Zennequin (antibiotic #5), and a short course of Lysine (for her herpes); eyes remain irritated but no protein buildups, lesions, or infections visible externally. Appetite and spirits have remained good, but she’s having a harder time doing anything but just sitting and breathing most days. While we’ve done cortisone shots in the past when she gets bad like this, we usually hold off until there’s a large external lesion, and we’d rather keep that as a last resort than a frequent form of medication. Chronic steroid use isn’t really good for anybody.
So, the vet referred us to an internist in Ridgefield, and Wednesday they’re going to do a nasal flush, take some cultures, do an endoscopy, and that sort of stuff. The goal is to figure out what’s causing the troubles. It may just be allergic sinusitis, in which case there’s not much we can do except try to keep her comfortable. On the other hand, they may find something that lets us keep her much more comfortable, and that would be good.